Wednesday, February 17, 2010

what should i give up for lent?

Hail all Christians, today is Ash Wednesday which means in forty days (excluding all Sundays) Jesus Christ will have risen! Imagine me saying that in the most priestly voice I have.

Ashes are placed on foreheads to represent repentance and the beginning of fasting in preparation for Jesus' resurrection. Often, the palms collected on the Palm Sunday the year before are burned to create these ashes.

The Bible claims that ashes were used to represent mourning thus they also signify the sorrow expressed for our sins and faults.

Ash Wednesday also marks the first day of lent. Lent leads up to Easter and in order to prepare for the resurrection, we must fast (give up something) or change a habit for the better to welcome a "new life."

Giving up something for Lent has always been a challenge that I hold for myself to see if I can actually stick through it. Last year, I think I gave up chocolate (which is always my go-to). One year, I gave up pasta and then went to Myrtle Beach with my family during March Break and completely forgot. What should I give up this year?

I ate a bagel for breakfast so I can't really give up bread. I didn't have Nutella, though, and I have been eating a lot of it. Maybe I'll give up all junk food and desserts. I'll just try and eat really healthy from this point in. Nothing but the right size and amount of portions! That's going to be hard considering I am from an Italian household and portions don't have a maximum size.

Gooodbye binge eating, junk food, and all that crap.

No comments: