Wednesday, March 25, 2009

britney spears concert.





I went to the Britney Spears concert on Wed. March 18 in Toronto, Ontario and I have to say that i thoroughly enjoyed it. The Pussycat Dolls opened up for the Queen of Pop and their performance was equally entertaining. 

The Pussycat Dolls started their show with their first official hit, "Don'tcha" and ended it with "When I Grow Up." Doll Domination took over the stage, engaged with the Toronto audience, and sang and dance their little pretty hearts out.

When Spears finally came on the stage, the crowd went insane. I could not hear myself think at this point. She opened with "Circus," of course, and made her way from the jumbotron to the circus ring.

Though she lip synched almost every single song, the concert was still well done. It was a good show.

I have to give her credit though, because "Everytime" was actually sung. Well done, Brit.

The Queen has obviously been through a lot. A break-up with Justin Timberlake, a divorce with a one night marriage, a divorce with K-Fed, a shaved head, the loss custody of her own children, and many other emotional rollercosters. The fact that she can still stand in front of an audience and sing (even if it was one song) and dance for just shy of two hours every few nights is quite impressive.

The only difficulty I had with the performance was that Spears did not engage with her audience as much as I would have liked her to. Normally, when I go to concerts, the singer performs his or her opening song and then carries their attention to the audience. This did not happen. All we got was a "Hello, Toronto!" after a few songs and a "Thank you, Toronto!" after the encore.

I find that when celebrities engage with their audience, their shows are more exciting and get the crowd singing and dancing along. 

As much as my throat hurt the next morning from screaming and singing, I know that the 25+ people around me were not as impressed with the show as I was.

They liked the dancing and Perez Hilton's circus debut, but they found it hard to sing along with songs they had never heard.

Since BritBrit only sang a few songs from her new album and majority of songs from "Blackout" and "In the Zone," the concert was mainly appealing to new listeners or her old fans, no one really in between. There is nothing wrong with that because it was still a great performance, but in the end she could have incorporated some "Oops I Did it Again" here and there.

Basically, I loved the concert. I'd never been to a Britney concert prior to March 18 and I am glad I went! 

No comments: