Friday, June 4, 2010

and it begins.

May, you were fun. You occupied me day in and day out with little things; long walks, long talks, working out, trying to lose some weight, getting into shape, and trying new things. You promised me that I can do anything I want with a little help from my friends and loved ones. You, however, have come to an end, and today is June 4. Tomorrow, I start work. Though summertime is still here in full blossom, and the days will only get warmer, my time at home, my free time, and my time for myself has slowly trickled away. This is why university and college students have summer - to work and to save money for the upcoming school year - so let it begin.


I work tomorrow from 10:00am until whenever at my school as a START Leader (previously known as STAMP and POP) and then I will be spending the night in residence. I'm not as excited for sleeping in res as I should be and that's because I've lived there for two years, but I suppose it will be a good way to get to know everyone involved with START. Then, Sunday I work again from 9:30am - 3:30pm. After these long and fun two days of training, I will be missioning it over to my cousin Thomas' Baptism. Unfortunately, I am missing the mass because I'll be at work, but then I'll get to spend the evening with (mostly) my entire family. My mom will be staying with my grandmother at the hospital so she is not alone, while we all eat like pigs and celebrate with worry on the back of our minds. 


Then, on Monday I am going downtown to see my Nonno and Nonna. One of them has an appointment,  I can't remember which one, so I will be spending the day with whoever is not going to be at the Doctor's, while my mom accompanies the other. Perhaps I'll go see my grandmother in hospital afterwards, but I'm not sure yet. It all depends on how the day goes. 


Then, on Tuesday, I have a meeting at my school to train for Convocation (which I will be working on Monday, June 21). The meeting only lasts for an hour-and-a-half, but it's going to take me four hours of traveling before the day is through. I don't mind, though, it gives me something to do during the day.


When Wednesday and Thursday arrive, I will hopefully be working at my school again preparing for Convocation. An e-mail was sent out last night for any START Leaders who wish to have extra hours. I signed up because I definitely can use the money and the experience. It's still not confirmed if I will be one of the Leaders working, but I hope I am. The hours are from 9:00am - 4:30pm. That means, I'll probably be getting a ride from my mom or dad to the subway station where I will then catch a bus that takes me right over to the school. It's going to be a loooong bus ride, but I'll bring a book and my iPod :). It's probably bad, but I find entertainment in people watching. I don't do it to the point where I stare at randoms for long intervals, but let's just say I am very observant. I'm not sure if that's a good quality...


Then, before I know it, the weekend will be here. Friday the 11th is my great-aunt's 75th birthday party. Saturday the 12th, I think I'm going to stay at home and catch up with friends and see the boy. Sunday the 13th is still up in the air, depending on how or where my grandmother is, but I'd like to see her at one point. 


I surprised my grandmother yesterday by subwaying it to the hospital and spending the day with her. She's doing much better, even though she is still a bit drugged. She looks sad that she had to go through with the surgery but I keep giving her courage that everything only improves from here. I know she doesn't believe me, but I've already seen such a huge change in her physical well-being. She was sitting up yesterday, she ate ALL of her lunch, she went to the bathroom free of struggle, and I even took her on a little wheel-chair ride to the atrium (this cute patient's court at the hospital). I'm sad because I won't be able to see her much until she is discharged from the hospital, but I hope she knows my prayers and thoughts are consumed with wishes for her.


My grandmother isn't the only one who I'm wishing for. Last night I saw a good friend of mine who has been going through some trouble. She went on vacation and came back with some unfortunate stories. I haven't been able to see her as much as I want to and I don't know when I'll get to hug her next, but we talked a lot last night and I tried to be as open, honest, loving, supportive, and tough as I possibly could. She's not alone. She's going to be okay. Right now, positive thinking doesn't seem like it'll cure anything, but everything takes some time to get used to. Baby steps. She's already agreed to so many things that will help her in the long run. She has my sympathy but she also knows she can count on me and our other amazing friends to give her some tough love and criticism when she needs concrete advice.


Each time I go over a train track, I wish for my grandmother and for my friend.

No comments: