Tuesday, December 1, 2009

academics can make or break you.

I hate how a numeric grade value in a course can make or break my mood. I found out my mark for my major essay for Doc Film and TV by e-mailing my prof and it wasn't as good as I'd expected. I worked really hard on that essay and I was confident with it when I handed it in. I had more sources than required, I covered a complex topic (or so I thought), and I read it over so many times to catch any errors.

School shouldn't be about grades and trying to get that 80 average. It should be about understanding information, being able to apply it, and enjoying what you're doing. Unfortunately, anyone with a 50 per cent and over can get credit for successfully completing a course as where I strive for 80s in everything I do and often stress myself out and make silly mistakes because I care too much.

Deep breath. I have one more essay to hand in for tomorrow, which is already completed, and I am putting a strong focus on my Doc Film and TV exam so I can get the grade value I want to enhance my chances at receiving a scholarship for the third year in a row.

Wow, it just hit me that next year I will be entering my third year of university. In two years I will be graduating from Guelph-Humber and saying "See ya" to all the great people I have met here. Who knows where I will go from there. Grad school? Maybe. It would be awesome if I could get a job at a magazine/newspaper right away so let's hope that I can score an amazing internship at Flare Magazine or the Toronto Star to increase my chances.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

No comments: