Friday, September 18, 2009

that new band that you just can't stop listening to.

I really enjoy listening to bands that haven't made it big because they just seem to enjoy their music and the art of singing that much more than a really famous band. But, I have this pet peeve...I always seem to fall in love with a band and their work just in time for them to get popular. A perfect example of this would be my adoration of the band The Script.

I can't even begin to describe the music that The Script produces. The lyrics are so profound and true and their rhythms and beats are so creative yet so simple that I'm weak in the knees whenever one of their songs start to play.

Well, of course, The Script is getting their name out there really really fast. They are no longer all that indie which upsets me because big, famous bands have a tendency to drop in talent after multimedia corporations get a hold of them.

Does anyone else have share this concern? Big media bosses are like vampires sucking the talent out of thousands of indie artists who just want to love, write, sing, draw, paint, act, and dance (I'm really sorry for using vampires in my analogy, it just seemed to work). Don't get me wrong, it's great when unknown artists move up in popularity! Unfortunately, though, these aritsts will most likely (in my opinion, anyways) get comformed to any ol' band playing chart-topping pop songs that have no soul.

Take George Nozuka, produced by Howie from the Backstreet Boys, and his brother Justin Nozuka, for example. George is really talented. He can sing. He can dance. But, all of his music sounds the same. Justin, on the other hand, sings with his heart and soul. Yes, he is growing in popularity, but not to the degree of his peers.

I know I am making a generalization and that not all bands that get famous bite the dust but at the same time, it's not right for media corps. to think they own the music industry. Then again, I guess they are giving all of us pop lovers only what we want.

No comments: