Sunday, May 24, 2009

summer novel number two.



I finally finished my second book of the summer (normally it wouldn't take this long but it kept taking me in circles and I got bored fast). The book's called "Little Face" and it makes you believe that it is about a mother who is suffering from post-natal depression and a psychotic husband and mother-in-law. The suffering mom's baby, Florence, has apparently been switched for another baby whom the characters in the novel refer to as Little Face. The novel also incorporates the third-person-perspective of a police officer named Simon and his encounter with this Sergeant and Chief who have information on a murder that could be connected to the little messed up family. Not to mention that the suffering mom and Simon have a secret emotional love affair even though they meet about 5 times in the novel only for business purposes.

The entire cycle of the book was basically wrapped around the firm belief that Florence has gone missing and that the psychotic husband and mother-in-law are totally to blame. In the last three pages of the book, we find out that the post-natal depression suffering mom is really not suffering from anything other than knowledge. The last three pages of the novel give a book's worth of information that could have been said at any point in the novel and made perfect sense. The 350-odd page novel that I just finished reading had a good story line, for sure, but took a long time getting to the resolution. I felt like I was riding the falling action wave for 3/4 of the book.

I mean, I understand that books are supposed to confuse the hell out of you to a certain degree, especially the thriller/mystery genre, but I didn't get as much as a hint in "Little Face." I don't mean to bash the book because it was well written and kept me wanting to read more but after reading a chapter I felt like I just read the chapter before so I'd put the book down. It wasn't as good as I'd thought it would be, but I guess that's what you get when you have high expectations.

The plot was thick, the story-line juicy, but I think a three page resolution could have been spared. Now I'm off to pick book number three, I'll be back with details on it later--not necessarily tonight, though. I'm going to my boyfriend's sister's Communion (I know, cute).

P.S. Enjoy the weather today--22 with only a few clouds and some great sun!

No comments: