Friday, June 11, 2010

clarification.

With regards to an anonymous comment I received, if you knew my boyfriend's dad you would know that he didn't mean his "doesn't your mom cook dinner?" in a "19-year-old girls don't normally cook dinner for their families" way. He meant it in a "why doesn't your own mother cook her family dinner like she is supposed to because she is a female?" manner.... He tells his wife to make espresso and explains that if he didn't order her around, she would never move all day and get fat.


For the record, my boyfriend's dad has never been disrespectful to me. He's a nice, hardworking, Italian man. However, there are some things that he's said/done, like with every person, that I don't agree with. I've witnessed my own father and brother make sexist comments towards me and my mom with regards to cooking and cleaning and hearing it from others makes it ten times worse. I've been told that it's my "job" to clean up. The other night, I was putting pasta on my brother's plate and he looked at me and said "Wow, you're really becoming a woman, eh?" No woman or girl should ever feel that they have to do something. I cook dinner for my family out of respect - my parents are at work all day and my brother is at school. I've been off for a little while so I do things around the house because I love and respect my family. Whenever I receive smart remarks about how I should be doing something because I am a female, I stop doing it.


It's funny, every time someone leaves an anonymous comment it's because they disagree with something that I've posted. I'd rather you just man up and write your name.


This is the least of my worries, I just wanted to make everything clear because as everyone knows, assumptions make asses out of you and me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You assume it was a man who left that comment? Now who's the sexist one?