Saturday, May 1, 2010

world hold on.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm reading a book called "Still Alice." If you ever have a chance to read it, please do. I'm about 2/3 into the novel and I can't put it down.


The novel is about a fifty-year-old woman who is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease. Throughout her journey she experiences hardships with family, friends, her workplace, and finding her way around. Normally, I only like reading love stories during the summer time, but this book has changed my mind. Read it. It's too good.


Not only is "Still Alice" educational because it teaches its readers about Alzheimer's, but it also teaches its readers that life is a gift.


I love this quote from the novel:


"She liked being reminded of butterflies. She remembered being six or seven and crying over the fates of the butterflies in her yard after learning that they lived for only a few days. Her mother had comforted her and told her not to be sad for the butterflies, that just because their lives were short didn't mean they were tragic. Watching them flying in the warm sun among the daisies in their garden, her mother had said to her, see, they have a beautiful life. Alice liked remembering that." 

2 comments:

if life gives you lemons, don't eat them said...

It sounds like an excellent book!!!

I have to read it now!!!!

I love reading this type of books.

Eeleen Lee said...

that's a lovely excerpt