Friday, May 7, 2010

I could really use a wish right now.

Surprise, surprise. It's Friday and my dad's in a bad mood and he decided to take it out on me when I said I have to skip out on my grandmother's Mother's Day BBQ tomorrow early for Cara's birthday. You know, he's always complained about how my brother and I never ask him anything before asking my mom. Well Daddy, that's because you have a poll up your ass 75 per cent of the time and we don't want to push it up any further so we go the safe way.


What a nice way to think about my father... I wish he just understood it from my perspective for once in his life. That never happens, though. Of course, it never happens. Why would it? Life is either his way or no way and I, more or less of the time, like to push my chances.


I'm studying the Media and I've learned what it means to be an activist and to want change. I'm not just going to sit around and watch the world fall, so why would I just take what I can get with my family? I guess that classifies me as a poop disturber or maybe someone who really doesn't give a flying banana, but truthfully, I have so much respect for my family. Even at my age, I continue to ask if it okay if I go out. When, really, it should just be a quick "Dad, I'm going here. Be back soon." 


Of course, if I argue that, this will happen:


Dad: "What's your problem?"
Me: "You."
Dad: "Don't talk to me like that."
Me: "I have respect for you but clearly you have none for me."
Dad: "You're not going out tomorrow night."
Me: "I assume you want me to listen to that?"
Dad: "You have no respect."
Me: "Oh no, I do. If I didn't I wouldn't have mentioned anything about tomorrow night to you at all. Why do you still give me trouble when I say I'm going out somewhere? I'm turning 20!"
Dad: "Well as long as you're under my roof, you go by my rules."
Me: "Hence why I stayed in residence for the past two years. I thought by now you would have learned  that I am my own person. Clearly, that hasn't clicked yet."
Dad: Fireworks.

Keep in mind, none of this conversation has actually happened. I'm just predicting the future of my night.

1 comment:

Ali said...

I hate it when the rents pull the whole "My roof my rules..."

For me, it's the "We won't cosign your college loans..."

Stay strong :-)

Lexie.Love