Wednesday, December 16, 2009

bold and bright.




I used to want to paint my nails in bold sparkly colours like these ones. I remember once, I was at my cousin's house when we were little and she was painting her nails with a chunky nail polish like the multicoloured one in the above photo. I wasn't allowed to paint my nails crazy colours at that time in my life for obvious reasons, I was younger. However, that didn't stop me from wanting to. So, that day at my cousins I took the plunge and I choppily painted my nails with the multicoloured chunky polish which did not end well. I had random spots of green and red all over my hands and the nails on my right hand were a complete disaster. My mom laughed at me and warned that my dad would be upset with my choice of action. She was right. I don't remember what my dad said to me, but he was not happy at all. 


I never understood why he used to get so mad when I would do something he thought to be out of the norm. The first time I plucked my eyebrows myself and accidently plucked a few wrong hairs leaving me with half an eyebrow (thank the Lord it was me doing that to myself and not some other lady) he said "You're not a woman, yet." Obviously, he was just trying to preserve my youth because dads and daughters have some weird connection that though left unsaid, is as thick of steel.


Anyways, the point of this blogpost was to examine how, to this day, I hardly ever paint my nails. First, I can't paint my nails for the life of me. I'm a klutz and my right hand never turns out as good as my left hand. Second, whenever I paint my nails I always feel so confined. Like, as soon as I have them painted I think "Oh, well I can't put my socks on because I just painted my nails," or things like that. 


I probably should get in the habit of painting my nails, though. As my mom always said, "When someone has nicely maintained hands, it means they are a clean person." So, if I have a hang nail (which I do, I have many) then I'm dirty. I'm really not, though, mom. I shower. I wash my hands. I wear deodourant. I wear perfume every day. I brush my teeth two times a day. I take my makeup off every night (unless I fall asleep) and I always wash my face. I just don't have time to paint my nails. Maybe she just told me that so I'd be worried about painting my nails every day. It clearly didn't work.


Maybe that will be my new years resolution-maintain my hands.

No comments: