Wednesday, December 2, 2009

because one day i'm going to need to know this.

Je ne veux pas étudier!

I really hope that one day knowing that John Grierson created the National Film Board of Canada in 1939 and later left it in 1945 will come in handy. I hope that knowing what GPO stands for will also be important. GPO stands for the General Post Office that controlled and mediated information in England in 1933. It originated from the Empire Meeting Board (EMB) which was also produced by John Grierson, but in 1930. I am an aspiring journalist, not an aspiring film scholar. It's probably really sad to say that I don't care about the early history of the documentary but I truthfully do not. I mean, yeah, it's great information to know just incase you're on Who Wants to be a Millionaire and the million dollar question is "Who produced 'Nanook of the North' and in what year?" but what are the chances of that? Oh, for all of you wondering what the answer to that is, it's Robert J. Flaherty and between 1920 and 1922.

I am going to go read my notes now. I have to learn more about Dziga Vertov, Soviet filmmaker and producer of "Kino Pravda" aka "film truth."

Care to join?

No comments: