Thursday, September 17, 2009

do what you want.

I feel very productive as the moment. Today, I was able to finish an assignment for my News Writing and Editing class at school (and by finish I mean finish typing up my rough notes--no editing just yet) and finish the reading for my next Sociology of the Everyday class. I probably could have done more today if it weren't for the fact that I can't peal my eyes away from blog updates, tweets, and Facebook photos for more than half an hour. Pathetic, I know. Hey now, I guess that's why I'm in Media Studies. I'm constantly refreshing my Blogger home page to see what people have posted and what new celebrity gossip is underway. I guess you could say that I like being informed and what better way to do so then read other people's writing and opinions?

Aside from blogs and Twitter and Crackbook,I am also extremely interested in two of my courses this semester: Contemporary Narrative and Sociology of the Everyday. Contemporary Narrative takes a look at the meaning and significance behind Folklore and urban legends. Sociology of the Everyday basically determines why we do things the way we do them. The two courses sort of balance each other out because on one level, I am looking at literature and narrative and asking myself why and on another level, I am looking at the meaning of our hopeless assumptions that we take for granted in our everyday lives.

The other courses I am taking this semester are News Writing and Editing, Media Structure and Policy, and Documentary and Film Television. News Writing and Editing was a course I was really looking forward to completing. Now, though, I have been reunited with my Media Writing professor from my first semester at school. In all honesty, this professor is a sweetheart and probably a really nice lady out of the classroom. But, in the classroom I feel like I learn more about her life than about anything else. I guess personal experiences aren't a bad thing but when they consume the course to the degree where tasks on the syllabus cannot be completed, they are given negative connotation.

I adore, adore, ADORE my professor for Media Structure and Policy. Though he descirbed the course as, "unsexy," I still like the way he teaches, his openness, and approachability. The professor I have for this course is the same instructor I had for Mass Communication and Communication, Technology, and Culture in my first year at Guelph-Humber. He was, in fact, the professor who assigned each student to make a blog for the course. This blog is that blog. :)

My Documentary and Film Television course is interesting, I suppose. I took a Film Study course last semester that I did not thoroughly enjoy and I have the same professor this semester. I'm a little worried that I won't enjoy the course that much because I didn't enjoy the last course I had with the instructor, but I am going to try and look at the course with an open mind. Last week's class went fairly well, so I'll give the class and the prof points for that. We watched United 93, a film about one of the planes hijacked on September 11, 2001. It was spine chilling. Almost everyone in the class had watery eyes. Good movie but really really scary. It made me want to deadbolt my door for extra protection.

The only other news I have at the moment is that I really should be going to sleep right now. I've been super busy this week and some shut eye will hopefully revive me.

Goodnight :)

XOXO (in my Contemporary Narrative class, we learned the meaning behind the 'X' in 'XOXO.' It has to do with Christianity and the symbol of Christ. See, I'm learning things already. Oh, how I missed school).

No comments: