Tuesday, August 4, 2009

orphan.





I just got home from the film Orphan. In a nutshell: I'm scared to turn off my lights and I've made sure my doors are locked twice.

For those of you who aren't aware, the movie is about a family who adopts a third child after an unfortunate stillborn. The orphan causes serious harm to her adopted family. The movie unfolds with a good twist (not one that's never been used, though) and plenty good scares.

Alrighty, I won't give too much away but just know that Orphan is very haunting. I think everyone is petrified of waking up next to a creepy person staring over their bed. I also think everyone is scared to pieces of slipping under a frozen-over pond. I get claustrophobic just thinking about it. In Orphan, all of those fears are faced.

Though the film was rather traditional (with an alcoholic mother, a cheating-father who doesn't believe anything the mother claims, and a protective mother-in-law), everything was proportioned to fit the film's plot. 

It took good qualities of a not-so-good horror flick and used them in the best way possible. For example, the art of children painting to express themselves was used in Orphan in more than one way.

It wasn't the greatest horror film I've ever seen but it was pretty decent. Meaning, I don't think I will sleep peacefully tonight. Darn.

No comments: