Wednesday, April 22, 2009

why i hate the dentist....


I have a confession to make, I absolutely hate going to the dentist. They always breathe in your face even though they're wearing masks over their mouths and their breath reeks like coffee, they tell you what not to eat to prevent cavities, and when the hygenist cleans your mouth they stab your gums then tell you that you have gingavitus or some calcium disease because your gums are all swollen. Well here's the thing, my gums are never swollen when I go into the office but when I come out I have open wounds in my mouth.

I remember when I had a retainer in my mouth, my dentist told me I needed a head gear. Then, I went to my orthodontist, told him what he'd said, and he actually laughed in my face. He told me that I don't need a head gear because my teeth were improving just fine with the retainer. Every single tooth in my mouth is perfect except for one tooth that is a little crooked. My dentist told me I then needed braces for one tooth. Excuse me? Pretty sure my mouth is not your pay check. I didn't get braces. 

To make things better, I have a missing adult tooth and the baby tooth that is currently in its place (because it hasn't fallen out) is the only tooth in my mouth with a cavity. Looking at the records, I had this cavity in 2000 but I wasn't told about it until 2005 where my dentist office made it seem like I had horrible hygene. (P.S. I brush my teeth twice a day, I don't drink pop, and I hardly have junk food).

The last time I went to the dentist, which was last week, the hygenist decided to have a heart to heart with me about my life (this was the first time I ever had her as a hygenist). 

The conversation went like this,

Hygenist: "How old are you?"
Me: "I'll be 19 in October"
H: "Oh, so you're 18. Are you dating?"
M: "Uh-huh"
H: "Well you don't love him, you won't get married, you don't love him. I've had my share of jerks, I would know."

Pardon? I don't understand why hygenists don't follow the same rules as in waiting rooms and elevators. You never talk to people you don't know about their personal lives because you don't know anything about it. And even if they don't follow that rule, what about the rule to not ask me questions when I have three dental tools in my mouth and can't speak? 

Well, just before our conversation, an Oprah commercial came on CP24 about 14 year olds who felt they were ready to have sex. I guess my hygenist thought I was 14 or something, because why else would an Oprah commercial provoke her to be in my face with stuff she doesn't even know about me? Or, I have a better idea. I bet she is not fond of her past love life and decided to take out her grudge on me, the innocent patient just wanting to get my teeth cleaned. Maybe she goes by every statistic and every stereotype that young love, high school sweet hearts, and faith don't exist. 

So frustrating.

No comments: