Saturday, April 4, 2009

umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh.


Yesterday, I spent my day at York University with my friend Natasha. We met for lunch to celebrate a mutual friend's 19th birthday. On the way to the diner, we encountered a series of strange events.

We have all heard the rhyme, "April showers bring May flowers" but who knew that an April 3 terrential rain storm could break a GTA record. By 8 p.m. last evening, 38.4 mm of rain fell from the sky. The previous record was set in 1950 at 20.8 mm.

My friend and I reached York U's student parking at around 11:15 a.m. yesterday just in time for the whopping storm. We were sharing an umbrella and had come up with an interesting tactic to keep our hair as pretty as possible. It didn't work very well, I might add.

First, we took turns holding the umbrella. With the hand that was free, we each held one end of the umbrella to reduce the chances of the wind getting the best of it. That failed too. The umbrella turned inside out. When we turned it upright, of course our hands got owned by the excessive rain pouring down on us. Rain poured directly down our sleeves, it was not a fun walk.

By the time we got to the diner, we were drenched from head to toe. Being the smarties that we are, we both wore black flats. Well, our feet were soaked to a point where the black dye from my shoes painted my toes on both of my feet.

Despite our situation, it was some quality bonding time. We laughed at our hair, our clothes' new wet-look, and our smudged makeup. The worst times with the best of friends are always made better.

Ask anyone, and the worst article of clothing to wear in a rain storm is a pair of jeans because, boy, are they uncomfortable when wet. I felt like my legs were stuck to a really heavy bag. 

As much as I hate the rain, I like it too. It makes the grass green (if you look outside your window I'm sure you will notice that your lawn is looking rather fresh), it makes leaf buds on trees pop, and it means that winter is finally coming to the end. Knock on wood.

The low today is -2 degrees celcius with a chance of rain and wet snow, and on Monday the forecasted low is -1 also with a chance of rain and wet snow. On the brighter side of things, Sunday (tomorrow) is supposed to have a high of +9. 

Hopefully there won't be any terrential rain storms in the near future so you don't have to walk through a hurricane like I did. 

Let's hope for the best.

No comments: