Wednesday, April 22, 2009

dialogue.


Since my summer vacation has started, I've started to read a lot and reading gives me a lot of ideas. So this morning, I sat down and wrote a dialogue. I'm not really sure where it came from, but I hope you enjoy it.

*

She was awake for a few hours now but couldn’t decide what to do. Should she go over to his apartment, pop his tires and ring his neck? Or should she call him and use her words to end the relationship?  She thought she’d do what wouldn’t put her behind bars, yet.

She tried calling once, twice, three times but there was no answer. She didn’t care if it was five in the morning, this was important and needed to be solved—her way or no way. Finally, there was an answer.

“You actually make me sick,” she said stomping around the bedroom trying to find her shorts. “I can’t believe you thought I wouldn’t find out. Sooner or later, I’d be on your case you cheating bastard.”

“Babe,” a muffled voice said coming out of the other end of the receiver.

“Don’t you dare call me babe, Charlie. You’re an idiot. Of all people too, you choose her to sleep with,” she answered back.

“Bridget, you woke me up, come on. What is all this?” Charlie asked.

“I haven’t slept, so don’t even talk about me waking you. I’m calling to break up with you,” Bridget said.

“You know I love you with all my heart and I never meant to hurt you,” Charlie coughed up.

“Excuse me? You what? You love me? If you loved me, honey, you wouldn’t have slept with her or anybody else for that matter,” she responded.

“Just listen to me, Bridge, it wasn’t my fault,” Charlie compelled.

“I’m not listening to you. One second let me get my shorts on,” Bridget said.

“Oh yeah, you know how to make me happy baby. Leave the shorts off, I’ll be right over,” Charlie said.

“Stay right where you are, buddy. Keep it in your pants. Let me change. Don’t you dare hang up,” Bridget said.

“Oh come on Bridge—”

Bridget slammed the phone on her nightstand.

“Okay, I’m back. Whose fault was it then? Did she rape you? Did she come onto you?  I find that hard to believe since your Blackberry told me something completely different,” Bridget said.

“You looked through my Blackberry?” Charlie asked.

“Does that even matter right now? Seriously! You texted her saying you wanted to meet up and that you had fun last time. You asked her what hotel she was staying at and if you should bring a condom,” Bridget snapped back.

“That wasn’t me, babe, Seth took my Blackberry from me when we went out last,” Charlie said.

“Stupid, we haven’t gone out in over three weeks because your lazy ass is too busy sitting on your sofa with a bag of stale potato chips. Your texts started two months ago and your most recent message to the broad was sent yesterday,” Bridget confirmed.

“How do you know that, Bridge?” Charlie asked.

“Well, number one you always leave your front door unlocked and ever since you started seeing your little whore I’ve been keeping tabs. I know the way she smells because you don’t even change your shirt when I see you, you had smudged lipstick on your cheek and tried to persuade me that it was your mother’s, and you don’t delete your sent messages,” Bridget said.

“So you think you’re funny coming into my apartment and looking at my Blackberry?” Charlie asked.

“How is that all you’re worried about? I’m about to dump your ass and your Blackberry is more important than our relationship and how you betrayed me,” Bridget answered.

“Well, it’s my Blackberry and my apartment so technically I could have you arrested for trespassing,” Charlie tempted.

“I dare you to do that,” Bridget said.

“What do you mean ‘I dare you’? You don’t think I’ll do it?” Charlie asked.

“No, I know you won’t do it. You’re just going to put it off and put it off until you forget about it, just like everything else,” Bridget said. “You think that over these last four years I know nothing about you? I know you sneak around and stay out late with the boys. I know you ignore my calls when you’re watching Prison Break and I know you quit the law firm.”

“How do you know all that stuff? I didn’t quit, I was fired. And for Prison Break, I haven’t watched that in peace since Seth decided to take permanent residence with me. I don’t like it no more,” Charlie said.

“Honey, you quit. Your final paycheck came to my apartment because the idiot you are forgot to tell your boss your address changed after I kicked you out. And, Prison Break is your favorite show. I call you purposely whenever it’s on but you never answer. After you don’t answer, I block my number and call Seth who just so happens to be sitting right beside you. He answers the phone every time and pretends to be talking to Billy,” Bridget said.

“What an idiot, he told me he would never lie to me. I can’t believe he set me up like this,” Charlie answered.

“Why didn’t you stop lying to me a long time ago, Charlie? Then, none of this would have happened. You wouldn’t have slept with Veronica time and time again and you wouldn’t have caused me to break up with you,” Bridget said.

“We’re done? How can you leave me like this, all alone in my apartment with only Seth to stand by me?” Charlie asked.

“Pardon? I don’t want to be with someone who would rather sleep with his ex-wife then with me. I don’t want to be with someone whose careless mistakes only lead to my misfortune. I gave everything to you. I opened up my life, welcomed you in, and helped you get over Veronica and how much she hurt you after she filed for divorce. You only put yourself in the wrong by coming to me as your rebound girl. I wanted to be your friend, that’s all. But then, you seemed interesting so I gave you a shot that lasted for four whole years. Now here I am ready to break your neck,” Bridget said.

“You weren’t my rebound girl, I really do love you. I just saw Veronica in the park while I was walking Georgie that one day a few months back and old feelings started to flare. You know the way I am, I can’t hold myself back from her. She makes me crazy, she makes me fall to my knees, she makes me kiss her feet, and I would be a slave for her if I had to. She has no respect for me but I just fall to her no matter what,” Charlie explained.

“Oh yeah, that makes it so much better. After everything I did for you to help you get over her and to help you gain emotional strength, you tell me you just fall to her no matter what? Get over her, she’s not worth it. I risked my job spending hours with you at my kitchen table giving you therapy while I should have been at the office helping the people who really wanted to get better, unlike you,” Bridget said.

“Hey, I paid you for all your help. Come on, don’t give me that,” Charlie said.

“I didn’t take your money, Charlie. I put it in your bank account the moment I got the check,” Bridget explained.

“Oh, so that makes more sense now. I thought the firm put another check in my account by mistake. Speaking of money, you know I can support you so why don’t you just stay. It will be the two of us facing the rest of the world,” Charlie said.

“Do you think I’m actually going to fall for your stupid ‘I’m rich’ speech? I don’t care that you made good money. So do I. That has nothing to do with this. Fact is, you cheated on me multiple times with Veronica and I’m leaving you. Right now, I’m gone. Don’t call me. Don’t text me. Don’t come knocking on my door. I never want to see you again. You’re a disgrace,” she said choking back tears.

“Ah, sweety don’t cry. It’s not a big deal, we can work through it. I won’t do it ever again, I promise. I seriously do love—” Charlie said.

“Shut up, Charlie. I don’t care. You don’t love me, you just used me for someone to keep you busy until Veronica came around again. If it’s up to me, you’ll be alone for the rest of your life. Goodbye, Charlie,” Bridget said.

“No baby, please. I love you, seriously I do—”

Click.

No comments: