Thursday, September 18, 2008

This is the song that never ends...

There is always that one person who stands in front of the podium looking pompous and alert. They speak what looks like they know from the top of their head, a language called information. But that person is not just standing there speaking. There is a microphone, there has to be. There must be speakers too. Without them, there is no way that the person can communicate with their audience. If that person were not sitting in their suite and tie, speaking through the microphone, attempting to grasp the attention of the audience, there would not be a message. However, what if there is one person who is not grasped. What are they doing? If that was me, the one person not paying attention, I know I would be listening to my iPod. This is not because I do not agree with what the person in the suite is speaking about but because my sense of media is different than the rest.

I have always been the person to use a quote from a song to help get my point across so that is why I have chosen to use a mixed CD in order to illustrate my connection to the media and to convey why I like certain music. The songs that I chose to put onto my mixed CD are songs that tell a story when listened to together. I believe that the story can be interpreted in two ways: as an explanation of media and as an explanation of my political implications. The two seem to intertwine.

A medium is a way in which a message is delivered. For me, the most effective form of media is music. A message, a story, a description, or a point can be delivered with a chanson. I find that the message delivered in a song lands faster than that of a speech or news broadcast. Surely, those forms are effective but music travels ten times faster. The message in my mix tape is that anyone has the power to stand up tall and say what they need to say, in the words of John Mayer. No matter how they flaunt their image or their beat, when listening to a message you need to read between the lines to get the full effect.

The title of my CD is One Woman Army because I believe that any one person has the ability to stand up to anyone with anything they disagree with. No matter if they are black, white, or purple, short or tall. I started my CD with a song from the movie Across the Universe called Across the Universe. I started it with this song because messages from the media can be delivered across the world in seconds via different media, like the television for example. More often than not, messages from the media and even from politics are disguised and cause problems in our society. These problems can only be solved if there are people who can stand up for themselves and for their culture. Blood on Our Hands by Death From Above is another song I chose to put on my mix tape. This song symbolizes the spins that media and politicians make on truth. In Shakespeare’s Macbeth there is a scene where Lady Macbeth thinks that there is still blood on her hands after she kills the king, even after she washed them. The blood can never be washed off, as problems can never hide themselves despite who delivers them. Sometimes problems can never be solved, but in order to make a mends, attitudes need to be changed. To conclude the story on my CD I incorporated songs like White by Lights, Circle by Paramore, and It’s Over Casanova by Lights. These songs inspired me because they give hope to a happy ending. Even though the circle never ends the problems can be arrested for a frame, attitudes can be changed, and perspectives can be enlightened with the positive in order to make a sticky situation smooth.

The twelve songs I chose on my CD also reflect my political intention. I believe that everyone should be treated equally, and by this I do not mean everyone should be paid the same amount of money at their job, I mean with respect. No one standing atop that podium should deliver a false message, even though they sometimes do. Politicians are supposed to be the people in charge of a community, big or small, who can determine the difference between what the people want, what the people need, and what the problems in the community are. But I wonder why politicians and media draw false images! Politicians stand there campaigning but the second they’ve reeled in their audience they forget about them like the fish that got away. I guess you could say that my political views are to respect everyone and their environment and to never underestimate the problems that too much power can create. The songs I chose for my mix tape sing about misused power and as we know, with power comes great responsibility.

MY MIX TAPE:
1. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE - ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
2. MIX TAPE - BRAND NEW
3. BLOOD ON OUR HANDS (JUSTICE REMIX) - DEATH FROM ABOVE
4. THE CURSE OF CURVES - CUTE IS WHAT WE AIM FOR
5. A MODERN MYTH - 30 SECONDS TO MARS
6. WHAT MAKES A MAN? - CITY AND COLOUR
7. UNDER THE BRIDGE - RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS
8. DON'T BE AFRAID TO SING - STARS
9. SAY - JOHN MAYER
10. WHITE - LIGHTS
11. CIRCLE - PARAMORE
12. IT'S OVER CASANOVA - LIGHTS

No comments: